It consisted of three classrooms and was staffed by the Sisters of the Mission. These dedicated women lived at the Convent in town and travelled daily by tram to teach at our school. Previously there were classes in a nearby homestead on a farm belonging to the Cameron family. This house was also used as a Mass centre for the people of Fitzroy.
When the school opened it was also used as a Church on Sundays and Holy Days. The Church was not built until 1958.
In February 1983 the school was integrated into the State System.
With the progress of the city, the Northgate motorway was formed and a large section of the school playground was acquired by the New Plymouth City Council.
The school roll continued to grow and more classrooms were needed. In 1987 one classroom was built, and in 1991 two more were moved onto the site, to replace relocatable rooms in poor condition. 1992 was an exciting year for the school. Not only did we celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the school, but also the opening of an Administration block and staff room.
In 1994/95 two classrooms were built and extensive renovations made to the main classroom block. In 1996 the final stage (we thought) of upgrading with the long awaited library and upgrade to the toilet block was completed. However in 1999 our eighth classroom and resource/withdrawal rooms were built.
The year 2001 saw the roll grow again. Our maximum roll was increased to 240 pupils.
In 2016 due to major growth our maximum roll was again increased to 275 and this has been deemed our maximum capacity for students due to space. This saw an 11th classroom arrive and what would lead us to a whole school modernisation and flexible learning spaces. This includes breakout spaces and kitchens for our children to learn in.
Today we are a very modern and proud Catholic School serving our community.